Wednesday, January 24, 2007

So what exactly is art?

In my art class there are many opinions on what exactly art is. Some of them I agree with and some of them I strongly disagree with. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because I disagree with some doesn’t mean they are wrong.

That said, I do believe art can take many shapes and forms. Cooking, baking and eating are great hobbies of mine. I believe chefs [not all of them mind you] are artists in their creations. I like architecture. Not designing or building anything but in actually enjoying and appreciating what has been created by man. So much so that one of the people I admire most is the fictional character Howard Roark. Oh what character. But, Roark is not a real person; he is the figment of someone’s imagination. Like Roark’s creator, anyone that can wield a pen in such a manner and tell us such stories that we forget that their work is pure fiction deserves the title of artist.

It is by no mere coincidence that Central Park looks and functions the way it does in the bustling city. It took great imagination to create such beauty out of a treeless, rocky swampland. Central Park is the way it is by man’s design and vision.Like the painters and photographers chefs, architects and authors deserve to be called artists as well.


Galiano

A cake
A hotel

No comments: