Thursday, January 11, 2007

Artistic Soul

When I think of art I think of painting, drawings and photographs. Sometimes I expand on that, but unfortunately not too often. I think I have an idea of what art is as well as visual culture. The second of course is quite clearly stated in the word visual. But where does language and accents and music fit into this? Since they are what we hear, is there such a thing as audio culture? If one pays close enough attention they can find such beauty in words.

Take for example Bjork singing “Army of me.” I listened to it today – no, I mean actually listened - and the words are not what I thought they were. Her accent makes it a little difficult to understand what she’s saying but it is her accent that makes the song lovely. Her music, words, voice, everything combined is very artsy. Which makes me wonder, does it take an artistic person, lets say someone with an artistic soul [if there is such a thing] to create art in any form?

If I go by the example that I’ve given, I would say yes, that one does need to be artistic to create art.

Army of Me
Artist: Bjork Album:


Post Stand up
You've got to manage
I won't sympathize
Anymore

And if you complain once more
You’ll meet an army of me

You're alright
There's nothing wrong
Self sufficience please!
And get to work

And if you complain once more
You'll meet an army of me

You're on your own now
We won't save you
Your rescue squad
Is too exhausted

And if you complain once more
You'll meet an army of me

No comments: