Friday, April 06, 2007

Technology and cinematoghrapy [Movie art]

Two weeks ago I saw the movie “300” at the IMAX cinema in Natick Mass. It was my first IMAX experience and it’s one that I would never forget. The line to get into the cinema was ridiculously long but it was worth the wait and the hassle.

The cinema we (my boyfriend and I) went to is at the top of a Jordans Furniture Store and right next to the cinema there is a Bose showroom. The theater was outfitted with Bose sound systems so as you can tell the sound quality was amazing. In typical Bose style, the room was small (Bose founder built the company on the belief that sound varies depending on the size of the room) and it was completely full.

When the movie started, the seats shook. I sat there thinking ‘oh man, I’m not going to be able to take this’. At one point I felt motion sickness as it felt as thought the theater was moving away from the screen. Not to mention that at times it felt as though the characters were coming out of the screen. I think during this film I imagined every scary movie that I’ve seen that took place in a cinema. But boy was it worth the experience!

As I watch “King Kong” on TV now, yes, on my new 26” LCD, heh heh, I can only imagine how amazing it would have been to see this movie on IMAX. This goes for “Pan's Labyrinth” as well which I saw a couple of months ago. But all’s well, as the next movie that plays there will be Spider Man III. I’ve already made a date and I can’t wait.

No comments: